Monday, April 19, 2010

Reflections (during a flight to Baltimore)

Sometimes I feel like a walking contradiction - listening to Christina Aguilera, Lady GaGa or Louis Armstrong, wrapped in a sweater and a blanket, digging through my handbag for an ancient coughdrop from which I have to peel the wrapper. I am 'Mom' to an almost-teenager and awaiting a trip to Russia to meet my new baby daughter. I am rapidly approaching 40, unsure of what "appropriate" is anymore in regard to my wardrobe - I know miniskirts are a thing of the past (and something my daughter will discover soon enough, although she currently trends toward an Amish dresscode). Skinny jeans? Only with a longer top. Bold colors? Only in moderation. MuMu? Never. I get giddy when I hear that Bon Jovi or Aerosmith are touring - only to wonder "when did they get old?". I read Stephanie Myers, Terry Brooks, Ken Follett and Max Lucado. I enjoy just about any genre of movie - I'm just not that picky. (Unless the verbal bombs outpace the rest of the dialogue. I mean, honestly, we have a whole dictionary of words and all you can come up with are the same sorry 4-letter ones?) My favorite two groups of people to hang out with are the under-5 and over-80 set. And... I'm cool with all of this. Truly okay. Yes, I'm a full-grown, card-carrying adult - but I'm a long way from old. (One of the side benefits of 80+ folks being your 'posse' is that you hear "you're just a baby" many, many times.) And, I'm not a teenager anymore either - thank goodness. It was fun and all, but... All I know is that I've been married to my best friend for almost 20 years now, feel immeasurably blessed by the role of 'Mom', have work that seems to mean something... and an iPod full of rad tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment