Ever so often, it feels like there has to be a combination to getting Anya to fully open up - a certain way the tumblers are supposed to come together. We get amazing glimpses every now and again, and it is wonderful. We play, and sing, and snuggle, and dance. We introduce new tastes and textures - spaghetti, yes. Banana, not so much. I know patience is what is needed, and that it's a gradual process - enjoying every moment of time with her, not hurrying the future. I love being at home, taking care of my family, giving them the 'firsts' of my love, my energy, and my time, instead of what felt like the 'leftovers' at the end of the day. I have a couple of months to figure out the balance... prayers for guidance and wisdom would be much appreciated. Love to all!
It sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing ... and, in time, Anya will open up fully. I know Greg and I said many times in the first few months of being home with Anna that she just didn't seem happy. When we talked to our social worker about it, she reminded us that this was normal, that Anna was still greiving and that, in time, she would open up fully. Our social worker was absolutely right! After a few months home, once she was given the time to feel safe and trust that her new environment wasn't going anywhere, we began to see more and more of her. Even a year later, we still deal with situations that make her uneasy, but she gets through them much better than she used to. The "firsts" of you love is just what Anya needs right now ... you'll be amazed at her transformation. Please call or email me if you ever want to chat!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Laura